Erythromycin - Medical Facts You Need To Know About The Drug
What is Erythromycin?
Erythromycin is a generic name of a macrolide antibiotic. Erythromycin is often prescribed for patients who are allergic to penicillin. Erythromycin reduces the production of some proteins upon which bacteria survive. Erythromycin is an FDA approved, first marketed by Eli Lilly and company under the brand name of Llosone. This drug is also available under other brand name such as E-mycin, Eryc, Eryc-Tab, PCE, Pediazole and so on. Erythromycin is normally used for the treatment of the following:
• RTI(Respiratory tract infections)
• UTI(Urinary tract infections)
• Pelvic inflammatory disease
• Erythromycin can also be used for the treatment of Acne, lyme disease and tetanus.
How To Use The Drug?
Erythromycin is available as tablets, capsules, chewable tablets and pediatric suspension. Erythromycin should be taken is interval of 6 to 8 hours in a day for 7 to 21 days. Erythromycin dose can be increased up to 4 gm per day depending upon the severity of the infections. For children dosage is 30 to 50 mg /kg/day.
Erythromycin can be taken before or after food, studies. So Erythromycin delivers better results when taken in empty stomach.
Precautions and Contraindications
• People allergic to Erythromycin should not take Erythromycin.
• Medicine such as pynozide, cisaprade, dihydroergotimne, should not be given with Erythromycin.
• You should consult your doctor before taking Erythromycin if you have a history of liver or heart diseases, an electrolyte imbalance myasthenia gravis, or a history of long QT syndrome.
• Erythromycin does not harm the fetus, but it is not whether it is safe for infants.
• Erythromycin influences certain medical tests, hence inform your doctor before going for tests.
• As an antibiotic Erythromycin should be taken in a full course of treatment. Discontinuation may further increase the risk of infection and resistance to treatment.
Top Benefits of Erythromycin
• Erythromycin has broader spectrum of activity than penicillin and can be prescribed to people who are allergic to penicillin.
• Commercially available since 1952, hence it is a trusted medication.
• FDA approved drug.
• Erythromycin is an antibiotic which has minimal side effects and extremely beneficial results.
• Most of the Erythromycin brands are economic in pricing, so it is within the reach of all.
• The drug can be prescribed to all age groups; it is even safe in case of pregnancy.
• Erythromycin is available all over the world in many brand names.
• Erythromycin is an established medical treatment for RTI, UTI, diphtheria, syphilis, Chlamydia, gonorrhea.
• An established therapy, served mankind over more than 60 years and still going very strong.