Vasotec is a long-lasting Angiotensin Converting Enzyme inhibitor prescribed by the doctors for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure) and congestive heart failure. The medication contains Enalapril significantly reduces the risks of strokes, cardiac arrests and certain kidney disorders. The medication is also employed for the treatment of a condition known as left ventricular dysfunction, where the lower chambers of the heart region get constricted reducing the heart’s capability to pump the blood to other body areas. Vasotec can be given to a child who is at least one month or above. The doctor can prescribe this drug for any other health problems as he deems necessary.
Vasotec belongs to a category of drugs known as Angiotensin Converting Enzyme or ACE inhibitor. Angiotensin-II tightens the arteries and obstructs the blood flow, which trigger several heart and blood pressure complications. The medication helps a patient to return to a normal state of health by blocking the release of Angiotensin-II in the body. By doing so, the blocked arteries open and the blood gets adequate space to flow throughout.
Take Vasotec as per doctor’s recommendation. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor in detail before using the medication. Visit your doctor regularly for blood pressure tests to ascertain the effects of the medication on you. Over use of Vasotec can lower your blood pressure critically. Rush for medical help in case you feel dizzy or face vision disturbances. Do not self-medicate. Ask your doctor to prescribe the right dosage for you. Vasotec dosage is determined on the basis of your age and medical background.
It is best to start with a lower dose. In case you don’t notice any positive changes in your health, do not consume a dosage of higher strength on your own. Ask your doctor to do so. The doctor will analyze your medical condition thoroughly and then, may change your dose quantity. The usual dosage of Vasotec is 5 mg once daily and 2.5 mg once daily for hypertension and congestive heart failure respectively. Vasotec tablets are meant for oral consumption, before or after the meals. Monitor your liver and kidney functioning regularly while using this drug.
Side effects of Vasotec are vertigo, headache, insomnia, skin reactions, dizziness, dry mouth, , urination problems, heart pounding, diarrhea, weight changes, muscle ache, numbness, flu symptoms, uneven heart rate, unusual swelling and appetite loss.
- Use of Vasotec drug is not suitable if you are allergic to its ingredient ‘Enalapril’ or developed an allergy in the past due to the consumption of ACE inhibitors. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any medication before using Enalapril.
- Vasotec is unfit for consumption if you are suffering from kidney or liver ailments, Angioedema or any other disease. Medical discretion is advised.
- Pregnant mothers must not use Vasotec.
- Vasotec may result in kidney problems. Avoid using the drug if you are suffering from any kidney disease or using Aliskiren drugs. The early indications of possible kidney troubles are unusual swelling, respiratory issues and urination problem. Seek medical intervention immediately and do not consume any medication for any specific condition without consulting a doctor.
- Vasotec influences heart or electrolyte levels. Call your physician if you feel ill or notice any strange changes in your body. The first signs are heart palpitations, fatigue and muscle cramps.