Zocor is useful in cases where lowering levels of triglycerides is required and lowering the levels of cholesterol in the blood is required. Taking in Zocor in sufficient quantities means an elevation of the high density lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol in the blood.
This way, Zocor finds use in reducing risk of stroke, heart attacks and even deaths due to cardiac arrest. It is found to be useful in opening up blocked blood vessels. Available in tablets of 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, 40mg and 40mg, it might be useful in delivering relief from other disorders besides coronary disorders. It is not recommended to be used for children below 10 years of age.
Zocor works its magic by blocking the enzyme, HMG-CoA reductase, required for the production of cholesterol. It makes the liver produce more Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL). A comprehensive change in the lifestyle would be required for Zocor to work its magic effectively. There should be a balanced diet complimented by a healthy regimen of physical exercise. To get the best results from Zocor, be careful to follow the instructions of the doctor concerning the dosage. Never give a pause to the dose.
The ideal dose: Zocor
Zocor is supposed to be ingested orally with water. It could be taken on an empty stomach, and it would not matter much even if it were taken on a full stomach after a meal. Ensure regularity and punctuality while on a dose of Zocor.
Adults are supposed to take in 10mg or 20mg of Zocor every day in the evening. The dose always depends on several factors like the severity of the disorder sought to be remedied. The vital details of the patient like the patient's gender, weight, and age go a long way in deciding the ideal dose.
The most important point is that Zocor should be consumed regularly. Do consult the physician before altering the dose or stopping it altogether. It would not make much of a difference if a dose is missed or forgotten. You can take it whenever you remember it. But you should not take two consecutive doses without spacing them with safe time intervals.
Some people are believed to have certain side-effects like nausea, stomach-pain, constipation, muscle-pain, muscle-tenderness, headache, change in the color of urine, infrequent urination, fever, breathing problems, and rashes. If any of these persist for a long time, or become severe and intense, consult a physician immediately.
- Be sure to discuss all the pros and cons of Zocor with the doctor before trying it out. Read the label on the package carefully for comprehensive information.
- Discuss all allergies with your physician. Never take Zocor in combination with another medicine without consulting your physician.
- If a disorder of lever, heart, kidney or any other disease runs in your family, inform your doctor. Those who are pregnant or nursing children should also consult a trained physician before trying out Zocor.
- Do not take grape fruits or grape juice along with the medicine.
- Avoid alcohol while on a dose of Zocor.
- You may be required to go in for certain blood tests.
- Avoid food that contains fat while you are on a dose of Zocor for it to work effectively.
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.