Duricef (Cefadroxil) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antibiotic
Cefadroxil is an antibiotic that is prescribed for the treatment of bacterial infections. This medication belongs to the family of cephalosporin. This drug hinders the bacterias to form cell walls, which is very important for the survival of the bacterias. From mild to moderate, all kinds of bacterial infection can be treated with this medication.
FDA approved the Cefadroxil drug in the year1977. This drug stops the bacteria to multiply thus stops the infection from being spread. Interesting fact about this medication is that pregnant woman can take this, as it does not harm the unborn baby.
Use and Dosage of the Cefadroxil
This drug can be stored at the room temperature. Once the suspension is mixed then the mixture should be consumed within the 14 days and must be discarded later.
The dose of the medication is recommended as per the disease and level of infection. In the case of infection of urinary tract, the dose can be 1-2 g per day. It can be taken in single dose or twice a day.
In the case of skin infection the dose can be 1 g, which can be taken as the single dose.
• Before taking the medicine, the patient should consult a doctor.
• Doctor should be informed if patient is allergic to it or any other drug.
• If the dose of the Cefadroxil causes diarrhoea then patient must consult the doctor immediately.
• The patient suffering from kidney diseases or Intestinal Diseases must consult doctor before taking the medication.
• This medicine is not considered to be harmful if a woman is pregnant or lactating, though consulting a doctor before taking his drug is recommended.
• Cefadroxil can enhance the effects of Warfarin, which is used to prevent the situation of blood clot. In this case regular checks ups are recommended.
• The oral typhoid vaccine is not recommended to be taken while the treatment and at least after 3 days of the treatment completion. As the use of Cefadroxil can make the vaccine less effective.
5 Benefits of Cefadroxil
1. This medication can be used to treat bacterial infection in lungs, windpipes, nasals, sinuses.
2. The bacterial infections in throat, ear and nose can also be treated with this medication.
3. Gynecological infections can also be treated with Cefadroxil.
4. Septic arthritis can also be treated with this drug.
5. Acne and pimples can be treated with regular treatment and intake of Cefadroxil.