Zetia is usually prescribed to control high levels of cholesterol in the blood when it refuses to bow out with diet and exercise. It pulls down levels of bad cholesterol or low density lopoprotein (LDL) and pushes up high density lipoprotein (HDL). The low level of cholesterol in the blood reduces the risk of several disorders. Tablets of Zetia are sold in doses of 10mg. Children below 10 years of age are advised not to consume it.
Zetia doesn't allow the absorption of cholesterol through the small intestine. This way, cholesterol can't find its way to liver cells. So, liver cells tend to absorb it from the circulating blood. The level of cholesterol in the circulating blood goes down as a consequence.
It should be borne in mind that Zetia is not effective in losing weight. Moreover, Zetia would work its magic only if it is taken exactly as per the physician's instructions and directions.
How to take Zetia
Like all medicines, the appropriate dosage of Zetia depends on the severity of the condition sought to be remedied by the medicine. It also depends on the patient’s weight, age and gender.
The ideal dose of Zetia is 10mg once a day. But the dose prescribed by the physician should be strictly followed. It shouldn't be raised or lowered in any case. Never terminate a dosage without consulting the doctor. It works as well if it is taken in on an empty stomach or even on a full stomach.
The complete and comprehensive dose must be completed at all costs. In any case, one should never expect instant results. It would be a matter of two weeks before the first signs of relief.
If a certain dose is missed, it could be replenished at any time. Overdose should be avoided at all costs. Immediate medical attention should be sought in case of an overdose.
Some side-effects of Zetia like rashes or allergies, swellings, fatigue, weakness, nausea, stomach-pain, headache, dizziness, cough might be felt at times. Medical assistance should be sought at once if any of these get ugly.
- Be sure to discuss all implications of taking Zetia with a doctor before you try it out. Read all instructions and warnings on the label too.
- Do share complications of heart, liver or kidney with your physician before you try it out.
- Do intimate your doctor of all allergies you suffer from. Be sure to consult a practicing physician before taking any other medicine along with Zetia.
- Zetia would work its magic only if it were supplemented with a good diet, and appropriate physical exercise.
- A bout with Zetia might imply some regular checkups and blood tests.
- Food rich in fat could interfere in the proper effect of Zetia on the body.
- Pregnant and nursing women should always consult a physician before taking Zetia.
- Get a liver test done before starting on Zetia.
- Intimate the doctor if you have any complications with the muscles. It could get worse with Zetia. So, be sure to discuss all this with the doctor. Any muscle-pain or tenderness should be shared with the doctor at once.
- Store Zetia at room temperature and away from direct sunlight and moisture.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.