- Womens Health
This medicine is used for treatment and prevention of osteoporosis, which is a condition that makes bones fragile, in post menopausal women. Preventing bones from becoming fragile, post menopause, helps reduce risk of vertebral and other fractures. If daily intake of vitamin D is not sufficient then supplement vitamin D should be added to the diet along with this medicine. It may also lower chance of getting certain type of breast cancer in women after menopause but it is not for treatment of cancer. This medicine is not recommended for women before menopause. It may be prescribed by doctor for any other medical condition not mentioned here.
Estrogen is a natural hormone in body which regulates formation or destruction of bones. Level of estrogen may decrease in women after menopause or after removal of ovaries, leading to loss of bone density and making the bones weak. This condition of weakened bones is called osteoporosis. Active substance in Evista, raloxifene, helps increase bone density to certain extent and makes bones stronger and helps prevent bone fractures. Raloxifene is a selective estrogen receptor modular, since on certain tissues it has effect like estrogen and on some tissue it inhibits the effects of estrogen. It decreases LDL or bad cholesterol in blood but does not increase the HDL or good cholesterol like estrogen.
How to take Evista
This medicine is for long term use and generally one tablet daily is recommended for adults and elderly, with or without food. Patient may be required to take calcium and vitamin D supplement along with the medicine. This medicine is to be taken orally. Regular and long term use of this medicine makes it more effective.
Follow the prescription label and doctor’s instructions while taking this medication. Do not take in larger or lesser amount than recommended. Try to take the medicine at same time every day. Take the medicine exactly as prescribed by the doctor and always to be taken under medical supervision.
Like any other medicine this medicine may also have certain side effects like lumps or changes in breasts, any sign of stroke, blood clotting, hot flushes, swellings, joint pains, or any other symptom may occur. If any symptom turns serious or lasts longer than usual then stop the medicine and consult your doctor immediately.
- Taking this medicine may increase the risk of blood clotting, if you have any such problem then do not take the medicine.
- Do inform your doctor if you are allergic to any medicine or are taking any medicine to avoid any adverse condition or reaction.
- If you are suffering from any serious illness like that of heart, lungs, liver or kidney, high blood pressure or cholesterol or any other disease then do inform doctor. This medicine can also increase risk of stroke, which can be fatal.
- If you are pregnant or nursing babies then take Evista only after consulting doctor.
- This medicine is not to be used by men or pre menopausal women.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.