This medicine is an over the counter medicine prescribed for treatment of various symptoms of seasonal allergies and hives. This medicine causes less drowsiness than other anti allergic medicines. It helps in treating allergic symptoms like red, watery or itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, itchy throat, itchy skin and rashes. This medicine does not cure any allergy; it just helps control the symptom of allergies. It is available in 30mg, 60mg and 180mg tablet form and oral solution form.
Allegra contains active ingredient Fexofenadine and belongs to the class of medicine called antihistamines. Allegra works by stopping effects of histamine by blocking the histamine receptor known as the H1 receptor. Histamine is the substance that causes allergic symptoms in body. The medicine works more efficiently if it is taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Even if symptoms get cleared, take the medicine for the prescribed period to prevent relapse.
How to take Allegra
Allegra should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in excess or lesser amount than prescribed.
Take the medicine with glass full of water. Do not take any juices etc along with it. Before taking the oral solution shake it well. Take the exact dose prescribed by the doctor, which will depend on the type of infection you are suffering from and on age, sex, weight etc of the patient. The general dose for adults for seasonal allergies is 60mg taken twice daily or 180mg once daily. The suspension form is generally used for children below six years of age.
Do not skip any dose. In case of overdose of medicine immediately contact your doctor. If you miss any dose then take it when you remember but do not club any two doses together.
Some people may experience certain side effects like; dizziness, nausea, headache, joint pains, cough, difficult breathing, itching, swelling of facial parts and others. If any symptom do not go away and become serious then immediately take medical help.
In case you are starting on any medicine for the first time then first find out about its advantages and disadvantages and take necessary precautions like:
- In case you have any hypersensitivity to any medicine then inform your doctor about it. If you are taking any other over the counter medicine, diet supplements or herbal medicines then inform doctor about it to avoid any adverse interaction of two medicines.
- In case you are suffering from any serious medical illness of heart, liver, kidney or any other inform doctor before starting on Allegra.
- Consult your physician if you are pregnant or breast feeding before taking this medicine.
- Consult doctor about consuming alcohol as it may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- In case of using Allegra for very small children and in elderly take special precautions as they may be more sensitive to it.
- Though it is over the counter medicine it should be taken under medical supervision.
- Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight and moisture.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.