Calan is one of the many brands under which Verapamil is marketed. This is a calcium channel blocker which finds application in delivering relief to blood vessels and cardiac muscles. It treats chest pain, high blood pressure and several heart disorders. The medication is highly effective in treating migraine and chest pain.
Calan achieves its miracle in managing or controlling blood pressure by widening arteries, which it does by restraining the flow of calcium into blood vessels. Calan is the best calcium channel blocker used in clinical therapy. Calan was developed as an alternative to Propranolol.
Some of the key benefits of using this medication include:
- The popularity of Canal as a calcium antagonist makes it popular in therapy of chest pain, high blood pressure, etc.
- Canal does not pose any difficulty to the absorption of glucose or potassium in the body.
- Canal has a large hand in removing cardiovascular hypertrophy in cases of hypertension, lessens the thick wall of artery.
Calan or Verapamil dilates all blood vessels to the heart improving the supply of oxygen and blood to the heart. This alleviates chest pain, which is largely due to the inadequate supply of oxygen to the heart. This is how Calan is effective in alleviating chest pain.
How to Take Calan
Calan is available as an extended-release capsule, a long-acting tablet or simply as a tablet meant to be ingested orally through the mouth. These tablets and capsules are meant to be swallowed as a whole. Alternatively, they could be sprinkled over some paste and swallowed with some water.
The instructions on the prescription label are to be followed to the last word in this case. If the physician alters the dosage to suit your requirements, do follow his instructions. Remember to follow the directions of the medical practitioner in this case. Don't ever overdo what he wants. It could prove to be fatal. The medical practitioner should be consulted at once in case of any complications. There are certain side-effects like dizziness, skin rashes, constipation, nausea, soreness, etc associated with the use of Calan.
- Verapamil should not be taken by those suffering from heart-related disorders.
- Pregnant women should always consult a doctor before subscribing to a dose of Calan as it has not been proved in any manner if it is detrimental to the fetus.
- Calan is known to pass on to breast-milk. So, lactating mothers should be very careful if they want to enjoy the benefits of Calan. It would be best to initiate a dose only after consultation with a doctor.
- Calan is completely safe to be used by those afflicted by hypertension. High blood pressure doesn’t reflect itself in any obvious form. It is detected only through regular check-ups.
- Any allergies to Calan must be reported to the doctor as soon as possible.