Altace is typically used for controlling blood pressure. It helps in the treatment of hypertension and related disorders. Altace might find use as a supplementary medicine complimenting the effect of other medications used for treating high blood pressure.
If blood pressure is left uncontrolled, it could lead to severe complications like heart-attack, stroke or a disorder of the kidney. It is also used to treat heart failure in those recovering from a heart-attack. Available in capsules of 1.25mg, 2.5mg, 5mg and 10mg, it finds application for other reasons too.
As an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, Altace leads blood vessels to relax. Altace blocks the chemicals that lead to narrowing of blood vessels. This way, there is a widening of blood vessels, which allows an easy flow of blood through them. An easy flow of blood means a lowered blood-pressure.
The medical practitioner should be consulted when it comes to determining the ideal dosage. His or her directions should be strictly followed for the best results. The dose should not be stopped or paused at any point. It is to be maintained at a constant level in the body at all times, so it becomes important to intake Altace at regular intervals as directed by the physician.
How to take Altace
Altace is meant to be gulped down orally with water as prescribed by the physician. The ideal dose for an adult is 2.5mg per day. But the dose varies from person to person as per his or her gender, weight, age and other preferences.
Bear in mind to consume regular doses of Altace. If you happen to forget one of the doses, you can always do it whenever you are reminded of it. But you should be careful not to take two doses at the same time. Moreover, never change the dose without the physician's advice.
Altace is associated with certain side-effects like nausea, headache, fatigue, dizziness, swelling of facial parts, stomach-ache, diarrhea, etc. If symptoms persist for a long time, do consult a trained medical practitioner.
- Be sure to go through all the instructions accompanying Altace before you try it out.
- Consult your physician if you are allergic to a certain medicine. If you are already on a certain medicine, do consult your physician if it would be compatible with Altace.
- Always discuss your entire family history of diseases like diabetes and hypertension with the physician before beginning a dose of Altace.
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers should consult the doctor before trying out Altace.
- Be sure to intake a lot of water while you are on a dose of Altace to prevent the body from dehydration.
- Regular monitoring of blood pressure through checkups would be required to confirm the response of Altace and take necessary steps.
- Keep all medicines including Altace well out of reach of children.
- Store at room temperature.