- Womens Health
- Norethindrone Acetate
This medicine is prescribed for women who have abnormal bleeding from the uterus caused by imbalance of hormones. It is used to treat amenorrhea- a condition where women have stopped having menstrual periods for several months but are not pregnant and are not going through menopause. It is also used for treatment of endometriosis- a condition wherein the tissues that lie normally inside the uterus are found lined outside the uterus in abdomen or pelvic area and is the source of painful and irregular periods.
Aygestin is a man made progestin hormone which works by altering the lining of uterus. It is something like the progesterone hormone produced by the body naturally. This medicine works by stopping the normal growth of uterus lining during the menstrual cycle and thereby signals the hormone changes in the uterus to restore normal menstrual periods. Norethindrone works by inhibiting gonadotropin production from pituitary gland and leads to prevention of ovulation in females. This medicine is not effective in preventing miscarriages and should not be used to test for pregnancy.
How to take Aygestin
This medicine is taken orally as prescribed by the doctor. It may be taken with or after meal to prevent stomach upset or as prescribed by the doctor. The dose should be taken exactly as per doctor’s advice as it is based on your medical condition and medical history.
For treatment of abnormal bleeding from uterus or stopped menstrual periods, usually one tablet of 2.5-10mg is prescribed daily for 5 to 10 days during second half of menstrual cycle. For endometriosis initially 5mg is given orally for first 2 weeks which will be increased gradually and the treatment may last for 6 to 9 months.
While taking this medicine some people may experience certain side effects like nausea, weight change, headache, breast changes etc. Take immediate medical help if any symptom persists.
- Before starting on Aygestin do inform your doctor clearly about your medical background or family history of any condition like breast lumps, cancer, obesity, heart diseases, high blood pressure, seizures, migraine, asthma, kidney problem, diabetes or any such medical condition.
- If you are allergic to any medicine or are taking any other medicine regularly then inform your doctor before starting on this medication as it may cause adverse interaction with some medicines.
- This medicine should not be used if you are pregnant or breast feeding as it may be harmful for the unborn and nursing baby.
- This medicine may make you dizzy so take necessary precautions. Do report to doctor before any surgery that you are taking this medicine as it may cause increased risk of blood clotting.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and going under the sun while you are on this medication. Discontinue medicine if there is sudden partial or complete loss of vision and consult your doctor immediately.
- If there are any other unusual symptoms while taking this medicine do consult your doctor and take necessary precautions. Do take this medicine under medical supervision and after disclosing your full medical history.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.