Zagam (Sparfloxacin) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
What is Sparfloxacin?
Sparfloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic has been used for treating bacterial infections. Like other bactericidal drugs which actively kill bacteria, Sparfloxacin enters cells of most tissues, except for the central nervous system, where it inhibits the bacterial DNA replication and transcription. It achieves high levels of concentration in respiratory and sinus tissues.
Sparfloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, is used for treating:
• Community acquired pneumonia
• Chronic bronchitis
This drug was developed by Rhone Poulenc Rorer and approved by FDA in January 1997.
How to Use the Drug?
The drug can be taken as a tablet, orally, with a full glass of water, with or without food. The recommended dosage for adults is 100mg to 300mg/day once or twice a day in divided doses.
This medicine should be taken four hours before taking any drug, having magnesium or aluminum like antacids, vitamin or mineral supplements, as these bind with Sparfloxacin preventing its complete absorption.
Patients should drink adequate amounts of fluid while taking this medication to reduce risk of crystalluria, which is the presence of crystals in the urine.
Contraindications / Precautions
Patients should inform their doctor in case they are pregnant or have a history of kidney, liver, heart disease, epilepsy or if they are taking other medications. This drug is normally not prescribed to persons, who are continually exposed to sunlight as a part of their job or lifestyle. Exposure to sunlight, whether direct or indirect should be avoided for the duration of the treatment and five days beyond as well.
It should be stored at room temperature (20-25 degrees Celsius), away from moisture and strong sunlight. The medication should not be stopped too early, even if the symptoms start to improve, as it may allow bacteria to grow again, resulting in a relapse of infection.
5 Top Benefits of Sparfloxacin
There are many benefits of this medication; still there are many added benefits of this medication.
• This drug is available at most cost effective price when compared to other microbial antibiotics; hence, you do not have to worry about your pocket.
• This medication has proved to be highly effective in treating chronic bronchitis.
• It also fights many other bacterias in the body, thus saves the body from many diseases.
• Best therapeutic outcomes can be seen, when you are taking the treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia with Sparfloxacin.
• Disease like acute sinusitis can be safely treated with this drug.